• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Piper Flap Brackets - what are they coated with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just taken delivery of two new Piper flap brackets as both of my inner brackets are getting rusty. I had a bare metal respray 18 months ago but rust on these steel brackets is coming through again. (They were rusty before the respray and at the time they were cleaned and primed with zinc chromate primer).

Does anybody know how the OEM Piper parts are protected? If you look at the photo it seems like they are just powder coated with a green paint - one can see the orange peel in the paint. I live in a marine environment and I would really like to zinc plate it then paint it in some way - either powder coat it of put in layers of paint in some way?

Does anybody know how this OEM part is finished? I am tempted to put it in chemical paint stripper and see what is underneath. I am guessing plain steel? Does anybody know?

Attachments

• flap bracket.jpg
    flap bracket.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Back