• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA34-200T Nose Gear Interference

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avidflyer2

Reaction score
During a recent inspection I discovered the nose landing gear down lock link clevis bolt head hitting the nose gear drag link during both the retraction and extension cycle. The cause was the addition of washers between the clevis bolt and rod end bearing, and again between the rod end bearing and the downlock retraction bracket. The drag link passes by the clevis bolt two times during each retraction or each extension cycle. This area is very difficult to observe by one's self. You have to position yourself almost directly under the drag link and behind the nose gear prior to initiating the gear movement in order to observe the drag link passing by the clevis bolt. An alternate method is to disconnect the retraction spring and then unlock the gear manually and move it up or down until the drag link is directly opposite the clevis bolt. I submitted a Service Difficulty Report having control number 2017FA0000046 and included photos. The IPC calls for five washers (2 of one type, and 3 of another type) but doesn't tell you which goes where. I believe two go on either side of the actuating cylinder and three for the retraction spring bushing and nut.

IMG_2297_LI.jpg

IMG_2299_LI.jpg

Latest posts

Back