• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA34 Gear Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcseneca

Reaction score
I have a PA34 that on the last flight I had a gear problem. I could see in the nose wheel mirror that they had retracted and the "unsafe" light extinguished, yet the pump continued to turn on and off every couple of seconds. This led to the breaker popping and after a minute or so, the gear did fall down.
Upon landing my A&P and I did a retract test on jacks and observed the same behavior. The gear will retract normally and upon full closure the power pack will cycle every couple of seconds.
There is not an observable external leak in any of the piping, actuators, Hoof valve, High Pressure valve or Power Pack. The Power Pack was overhauled less than 400 hours ago.
We have trouble shot the following: Capped each actuator and tested. No change. Capped the Hoof valve and tested. No change. Replaced the spring within the power pack shuttle valve. No change.
I still believe I have a high pressure leak in the system. If you run the gear up, and pull the breaker to stop the pump, after a couple minutes the gear will fall.

Has anyone experienced this behavior before?

Are there any other recommendations for trouble shooting?

TCseneca

Latest posts

Back