• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-23 Apache in flight issue today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heygeronimo

Reaction score
So I departed Sebring FL today, and at about 1,000 feet heard some sort of pop sound... followed by the airplane MOMENTARILY yawing to one side. I thought I had an engine failure going on, but showed 2700 rpm on both, and the same 27-28 inches of manifold pressure on the engines. Also noticed I was not needing a bunch of rudder to keep the plane from rolling like they would normally need in an engine failure. Right after it yawed a sound came, and never went away until we finally were on the ground.

It sounded like something was flapping around. At first I thought maybe a flap came undone, or something literally came off the airplane... Upon inspection we found nothing was undone from the airframe. The sound may have been the rudder or rudder trim tab flapping around for whatever reason. Very confusing and disappointing.

We did notice that if you deflect the rudder to the left, it springs right back center. However if you deflect it to the right, it has little or no spring at all, and will just stay where you push it to the right. Is this normal for Apaches?

Additionally a mechanic at the airport we landed at indicated that the rudder system was all out of rig. The nose gear set to neutral does not line up with rudder pedals etc. was very far off from what I could see, however I doubt that would cause this to happen>?

At this point I have left it with a shop there, but wanted any insight if anyone had any to offer... Just glad to be okay and on the ground.

Latest posts

Back