• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Oiling those old hangar doors, the easy way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff

Reaction score
I rent an older 50's vintage hangar at my hometown airport (4F2). The Hangar doors are four large doors that slide to the side are hanging from a two C Channel rails that are hung with the opening pointed down. On top of the door are some roller trucks attached to the top of the door. These fit inside the c channel. It works fairly well. The bottom of the doors have some metal pens that slip into the ground and hold these large doors locked into place.

They were needing to be lubricated and were causing much effort to open and close the doors. To oil them, I really didn't want to take a chance with falling with my extension ladder to oil a few feet at time of this wide front of about 60 feet of rail. It would have required many trips up down the ladder, and moving it many times. I came up with a simple system to oil it that I wanted to share. I call it, Spray can on a pole. Who knows, it might save someone from a nasty fall.

Spray can on a pole.

I duck taped a can of penetrating oil to the end of a 2in. ten ft. pvc pipe.
I then duck taped a 3in. gate hinge to the can, with the other end of the hinge laying over the spray button. Then I ran a thin rope through the end of this hinge and tied a knot. The end of the rope hangs down by the pole. When raised up, you can pull on the rope and the hinge will push the spray button down. And your spray can is dispersing oil. Turn lose of the rope and spraying stops.

In about five minutes this morning, I was able to spray the entire rail system. Just wanted to pass along this simple tip to my fellow pilots.

Regards,
Cliff

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back