• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Nose Wheel Steering Yoke Jig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

47cubpilot

Reaction score
In order to check the straightness of the nose wheel steering horn, I built this jig about 30 years ago using a straight steering horn. (The cross hole for the pin is worn) I brazed a washer on it where the air/nitrogen fitting goes to help center it.
jig without horn_LI 2.jpg

(That is rib stitching cord to show the relative alignment)
The center bolts are 1" apart, 7/8" above & 1/8" below the center line. The shimmy damper bolt hole is 1/16" below the center line. The steering arm bolt holes are 9" apart. (The yardstick looks wrong because of the perspective. Same in the next photo)
Here is what it looks like with the horn in place.
jig.jpg

That is a 3/16" drill bit, because I didn't have a 1/4" one to use! I'm not certain that a 1/4" bit would actually fit like that. It would be very close.
Yes, you do have to remove the horn to check it, but that is not really that hard of a job.
The jig is made out of 1/8" steel so can be used to straighten a horn that is not too badly bent. Just use a little heat and let naturally cool.
For a quick check in place I made this piece that fits against the back side. Just reach in and see if it looks bent.
quick check.jpg

Latest posts

Back