• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New Dakota owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodtherancher

Reaction score
This is my first post here on the Piper forum. Last week on Friday 16 March, I took delivery of my first airplane ever---a 1982 Piper Dakota in Murrieta/Temecula, California at F70. My home base is Casper, Wyoming, KCPR, and I was immediately faced with a 751 nm cross country hop.

Since I neither had time in a Dakota, nor have a high performance endorsement, I had a CFII as my copilot for the flight to Casper. We accomplished this in two segments; F70 to KBCE, Bryce Canyon, Utah; we overflew Lake Mead, Zion National Park, as well as Big Bear Lake in California. From Bryce Canyon, we made a slight jog to the East over Hanksville and Price, Utah before overflyiing Vernal, Utah and Dinosaur National Monument on the way in to Casper. Total time elapsed on the tachometer: 5.48 hours. I was privileged to fly my first "real; instrument DP from Temecula due to fog; it was a DP to VFR on top. I flew the entire flight with only a few suggestions from the ferry pilot, ably assisted by the Century 21 autopilot and S-Tec altitude hold. Altitude from F70 to KBCE: 9,500 feet; from KBCE to KCPR: 11,500 feet. Navigation by GPS (Garmin 396 handheld).

It was enough to confirm that I'd made a good choice for a great cross country airplane. But...I have only a few hundred questions for other Piper owners which I'll post here later. But...this was one great introduction to aircraft ownership.

Latest posts

Back