• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New avionics installed - finally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got my plane back from the shop this week. Unfortunately, I wasn't there to see it before leaving for another work trip. I say finally since we dropped it off to the shop at the end of February. The shop has been working on it for 8 months!! :mad: That's in the past now (relax, take a deep breath). OK, that's better...

All I got so far was a single picture from my son as he was fiddling with the panel on the ground. Attached are the before and after pics. From what we can tell, everything is working but extensive flight testing will have to wait for a wing bracket repair. Details on that are in another thread. The only thing that didn't get done that I wanted was the Aera 660 to be hard wired to the GTX345. Shop said that traffic and weather wasn't supported yet across the RS232. It's supposedly coming in a future software update to the 345. Not sure I believe that(compatibility and software update), but I wanted it out of the shop sooner than later. We're looking forward to testing out all of the new toys especially the autopilot integration. I have a STEC 40 in it. Heading mode appears to work as driven by the G5 bug. I'd guess that the GPSS will work too. Not a lot of flight testing was done since it returned home 30 minutes under a ferry permit. The other update that is waiting in a box at home is an EI CGR-30B that will be installed below the CDI.

This has been a long time coming, now it's just in time for winter instead of summer. Bummer.
rayb

Attachments

• N28906 berfore.jpg
    N28906 berfore.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 119
  • N28906 after.jpg
    N28906 after.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 118

Latest posts

Back