• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

My ADSb installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My new installation consists of a King KSN 770 and KT 74 transponder for ADSB out. I am using the GDL 39-3d and ipad for adsb in, I was using the adsb in for a couple of years before the new King equipment was installed. Re: the adsb in equipment, the old Narco DME had already gone belly up, so we disconnected it from the DME's uda-3 blade antenna, located on the belly as you know, and ran a coax from that blade ant up to the Gdl 39 port, and have consistently had wonderful results with it, the Garmin app shows 5 adsb ground stations being received almost all the time, once up to 800 or 900 ft agl here in central Iowa. I see targets on the ipad from airline and cargo flights 30,000 ft higher than me, and keep in mind the antenna picking up these signals is mounted on the belly. No problem getting weather either. Local GA traffic shows up well too. We placed the GDL 39 so it sits on the tunnel right next to the flap handle, there is just enough room for it to sit there and I can see all it's status lights with no problem, and it's in a good spot for the AHRS function too. It's internal gps antenna is not able to do it's thing from there, so I dug up an old Garmin 196 external ant and placed it on the glare shield where it works just fine. I hooked that antenna up to my old 196 in order to check it out, and in short order the 196 indicated it was WAAS enabled, so I moved it on over to the gdl 39, it shows good numbers there too. I am very happy with the results, but if you have suggestions, please pass them along. I have a question about the new adsb out however, I cannot see my own plane as a target on the pad -- is this OK? Best regards to you all.

Latest posts

Back