• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin Pilot FIS-B METAR Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Fellow Piper Pilots - I suspect that many of you are using Garmin Pilot along with some form of ADSB-In technology, and I'd like to get your input on something that started preventing airport METARs or other weather data originating from FIS-B from being available on the Garmin Pilot app. Interestingly, it still does seem to allow showing FIS-B turbulence as a mapped feature. To be somewhat specific, I have Garmin Pilot 10.5.4 running on an iPad Mini 5 with updated IPadOS. I have a GDL 50 portable ADSB-In/WAAS device (for backup use only now.) I have a primary GNX 375 ADSB-In/Out/IFR GPS Navigator and a new GI 275 ADAHRS HSI+AP Interface hooked to a legacy Century 21 AP. (Almost) all of the features on all units work correctly. Here's what I noted recently regarding the FIS-B weather issue:

We were flying from KALB to KBID and back on Sunday (with the iPad cellular internet turned off), I noticed that the METAR weather did not show up as an option when connected to FIS-B in the plane. The colored dots on the airports weren't visible then, and the "data donut" didn't show Wx. (I've attached a picture of the colored dots working correctly using LTE data for reference.) This was puzzling, since I'm sure it had worked before. When I checked whether Garmin Pilot was receiving FIS-B, I saw that it had updated all FIS-B data fields within the past minute or so, and I could get the FIS-B METAR on the GNX 375 directly. I couldn't figure this out while flying (thankfully in CAVU weather). This morning, I tried something different - I drove up to a place in town where I can get a strong ADSB tower signal and connected up the GDL-50 unit that I used prior to getting the new panel equipment installed. Interestingly, with the cell network turned off, it still wouldn't show FIS-B METAR, even though it was receiving a good ADSB tower signal. I know it used to do that. In fact, it was noted in the lower left corner of the METAR box what the source was - now it will only say Internet. I wonder if something has changed in Garmin Pilot 10.5.4 relative to earlier versions (or sub-versions.)

Has anyone seen this kind of thing happen?

IMG_3B671835B069-1.jpeg IMG_A4F4B6595E88-1.jpeg

Curt B. (N4364W)

Latest posts

Back