• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Minimum Flight Hours for FO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Dartford

Reaction score
Much is being made of the fact that the FO in the Etheopian crash had something like 200 hours. (The Captain had 8000.) I am wondering what makes sense. Not too long ago we had 250, then 500. now 1500. (if I remember correctly)

If you have 200 hours, and want to become an airline pilot, what will you learn by bumping around in a C150 for at least 1300 additional hours? . (Except that you don't want to be a cfi). I suggest that type rating training and some number of hours in an airliner full motion simulator are worth much more than 1300 hours of who knows what. In practice airlines have requirements beyond the mandated 1500 hours.
PIC hours, turbine time and such seem reasonable. Having to have a college degree, which in most cases is a preference rather than an absolute requirement lacks justification.

In summary, Total flight hours is a poor indicator of piloting skill. It is just an easy thing for the media to talk about.

Latest posts

Back