• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Mineral Oil Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatevrworks

Reaction score
Say there was an aircraft engine that had seen historically low usage maybe 5 hours a year over the past few years. Roughly 1200 SMOH and 500 or so STOH with chrome cylinders.

The engine recently has been run about 30 hours in the past month with no problems compressions all in the mid 70's a cylinder was pulled and the engine looks great inside. All cylinders scoped and other than being dirty and showing signs of being run way too rich look ok. The cylinders are chrome but the engine is using roughly a quart every 3 hours of AS 15w-50 and although chrome uses more that's too much for my liking. After talking to the owner the oil usage seems to be more than it used to be before a couple years of low usage. Do you think that there is any benefit to swapping back to mineral oil and hoping that any crap on the cylinders or rings can be scrapped off and reduce the oil usage. I know that usage is acceptable for Lycoming but not by my personal standards. Also the oil is going out the breather even when maintained at 8 qts in a 12 qt sump.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back