• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

An 85hp Continental engine in a 1946 J-3 Cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished an annual in a J-3 cub. My concern to the owner is the engine was overhauled in 2009 and has since then accumulated 22.5 hours. The aircraft is hangared and overall it is in good shape.

The FAR 91 rules say that no matter how much time is on an aircraft engine (FAR 135 Excluded) if the engine makes static RPM, no metal is found in the oil screen and cylinder Compression is good (75/80 or better) it is good to go.

My concern is the owner had mineral oil in the engine since 2009. I am concerned with internal corrosion, however the cylinders were Chrome.

Any recommendations for preparing the engine to get Ashless dispersant oil installed….I would run it again on mineral for a time to make sure the chrome cylinders are broken in!

Thanks

28BE7034-286D-4DC1-9EB1-B582F975AC93.jpeg

Latest posts

Back