• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Main Bearing Fail - Cause?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avidflyer2

Reaction score
While pulling an Annual Inspection on a new purchase (Seneca II) with a Continental TSIO-360-E (not -EB) engine, I found a piece of metal in the oil pump inlet suction screen. The thickness and radius suggested this was a piece of main bearing shell. Later I confirmed it came from the #3 Main Bearing by first removing a couple of cylinders until careful examination showed the main bearing shift and missing piece of metal. The engine ran fine prior to the Annual Inspection and we had just flown it 12 hours cross country to bring her home. Previous to this the airplane had only flown 7 hours in the previous ten years! Oil pressure had been fine with no other problems noted.

My question is: "What caused this bearing failure?" The size of the metal chunk makes it unlikely that it could have migrated out from between the journal web in the crankcase and the crankshaft. Some have suggested this was an installation error and it took this long for the metal to migrate to the screen. I have seen "bearing shift" before, but not bearing shift with bearing fatique causing a loss of bearing shell or insert.

Yes, cylinders have been replaced in the past, so it is possible that crankcase thru bolts and or cylinder thru bolts were not properly torqued. They were torqued prior to me removing them, I checked the torque on all thru bolts prior to disassembling the engine.

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG

Latest posts

Back