• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Low Oil Temp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
40 hours on our Lycoming factory rebuild on my 77 Archer. All good now - at last - except for low oil temps. I had a G3 Engine monitor, new baffles, new oil and gas lines, new mounts installed. I should have had them replace the primer lines - two have sprung leaks since the install. I'll have the rest replaced at annual or before. My lingering issue is oil temp. It was low - 140-150 - in September and October when I got it back. I have since aluminum taped the oil cooler and added a winter plate to the oil cooler entry from the baffles. Still between 140-170, even on a 60 degree day her in Mass. No water coming out the breather, no cloudy mix on the oil dipstick. I fly at least 2-4 hours per week, so the plane isn't sitting. I am in a heated hanger - never lower than 45 degrees. I thought about the engine dehydrator, but wondering if I need that since I fly a lot and the heated hanger. The temps on the G3 and the old temp gage are the same. CHT's were high at the beginning - to be expected - but are fine now. Very low oil consumption.

The old engine ran hot, and I was always chasing oil leaks. In April, we found a bunch of metal in the filter, so I bit the bullet on the rebuild.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Eric

Latest posts

Back