• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking for rams horn yokes

stapler101

Reaction score
I want two rams horn yokes to replace the bow ties in my 68 180.
I am also trying to find a hatshelf that will fit

JimC

Reaction score
Do you have overhead electric trim?

stapler101

Reaction score
JimC, I'm not sure I understand your question.
I do not have electric trim on the yoke, just the good old crank overhead.

JimC

Reaction score
In that case, you won't have a problem fitting the hatshelf.

brjak

Reaction score
Sorry to jump in...im looking for ram yokes as well...68-pa 28 140

vaflier

Reaction score
There are a number of yokes on Ebay deppending on the shaft size you need. Most are the larger shaft 1 1/8th I think. If you have the smaller shafts you would have to change the bushings in the dash that support the shafts in order to use them. Obviousley you will need assistance from your A and P to make it all legal.

stapler101

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I saw the ones on eBay. I am hoping to find a pair in better shape than most I saw

JimC

Reaction score
The dash bushing mount bolt pattern is the same for both shaft sizes. They are interchangeable.

Don't forget that the shafts come in two different lengths. You need the correct length.

vaflier

Reaction score
If the ones you can find have crappy paint or powdercoat on them it is an easy fix. Strip off the old coating and paint with black gloss Chassis Saver paint and they will look brand new or better. A pint can will do both yokes and this stuff looks like wet paint when dry and wears like steel. Great stuff to work with.

stapler101

Reaction score
vaflier, thanks for that great info! I had never heard of chassis saver but I did some online reading.
do you spray or brush it on?