• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Logbook time error

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking thru my airframe maintenance log to see when the last mag O/H was done, and discovered something that I should have caught while going through the records during my inspection prior to buying. It seems that the airplane's tach read 6049, and the Hobbs read 2530 in Nov, 2011. The next annual, October 2012, the tach was replaced at 6157 with new reading, of course, 0.00, but the mechanic recorded the TT as 8687. It appears the mechanic added the recorded Hobbs time to the tach time at tach replacement to arrive at his number of 8687. This is of course incorrect, Hobbs and tach are independent. All log entries subsequent to the October 2012 annual are, therefore, incorrect.

My question is, can I, as an A&P, enter the correction in the logbook and be OK from here on out? I do not want my airplane to appear to have 2500+ more hours than it actually does. Any IA's out there who have run across time discrepancies and corrected them?

Latest posts

Back