• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

KAPA RNAV 28 Approach Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day forum team:

My partner and I routinely fly into KAPA using the RNAV 28 approach. We load the approach into our GTN650. We have a GFC 500 and dual-G5s.

Without fail, we get told to 'Proceed direct DOCKY' as an initial fix. Which obviously we can do becuase DOCKY is an initial fix on the approach. (Proceed direct to DOCKY and put the AP in nav mode) When we get cleared for the approach it sounds like 'Cross DOCKY at or above 8000 feet, cleared RNAV 28 approach'.

How do we fly this using the GTN and GFC500? What buttons do we push and when?
- If I activate the approach upon getting our clearance, the GTN sequences immediately to NIDLY ignoring DOCKY all together.
- If we wait until it turns over DOCKY to MESME in nav mode and then activate the approach, it activates the approach, but won't intercept the glidepath because we are already too high.

I am sure there is any easy solution, but we have yet to find it. Thanks for the help!

KAPA RNAV 28.png

Attachments

• KAPA RNAV 28.png
    KAPA RNAV 28.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back