• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Installing wheel pants, paperwork snag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killrocks

Reaction score
As background, my Cherokee 140 was originally equipped with wheel fairings. When I purchased it, it had none. I did find the correct part numbers (I actually bought a set from a 77 Archer II, the mains were the correct part # and I traded my nose wheel fairing to a member here who had an Archer II, for the proper part # for my airplane).

So, I would like to install them.

Under FAR43 App A, I believe I can install the wheel pants on my airplane:

"(c) Preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:(1) Removal, installation, and repair of landing gear tires.
(2) Replacing elastic shock absorber cords on landing gear.
(3) Servicing landing gear shock struts by adding oil, air, or both.
(4) Servicing landing gear wheel bearings, such as cleaning and greasing.
(5) Replacing defective safety wiring or cotter keys.
(6) Lubrication not requiring disassembly other than removal of nonstructural items such as cover plates, cowlings, and fairings.

Since removal and installation of the wheel pants are necessary to perform these operations, and item (6) DOES say you are forbidden from "disassembly OTHER than removal of nonstructural items such as.....fairings" it reads to me that an owner can remove and install the wheel fairings on their airplane. My AP/IA agrees.

However, here is where I run into a snag. When the prior owner had the wheel fairings removed, he had it done at a repair station along with removal, replacement, and relocation of the ELT. The mechanic at the repair station filled out and inserted an updated W/B certificate in the Airplane POH that incorporates removal of the fairings and relocation of the ELT. :mad::mad::mad:

In reading the FAA Weight and Balance handbook, it appears that only a certificated mechanic can conduct a written calculated update of the empty weight and CG (W/B) for the airplane POH.

So I think I'm stuck. Installing the wheel pants = no big deal. Updating the empty W/B and CG = already done. It was the last thing I studied before my written test and on Saturday I got together with my instructor to review W/B and we did the W/B calculations to update the empty weight and C/G if I install the fairings.

But it looks like I don't have the authority to fill out an updated W/B form and put it in the POH. Despite the fact that it is required learning and testing for a PP. And my mechanic is out of state for a month or two.

Anyone have any wisdom or insight to add regarding this little shining example of bureaucracy? Am I wrong? I'm hoping so.......:cool:

Latest posts

Back