• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IMC and freezing level

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEG916

Reaction score
How close to the Freezing level do you consider it safe to fly in an aircraft without anti-ice equipment?

I canceled my flight today, because the freezing level was forecast to be at 5000 feet. The MEA for my flight was at 4000', and the IAF for my approach was at 4800'. I could have probably asked for vectors to the final approach course which would have kept me below the freezing level, but in the event of lost comm, I would have had to climb right into it, even if it was a short period of time. I may have been able to make a visual approach, but the weather was bad enough to where I didn't feel I could count on it.

I am a fresh IFR pilot with only 1 hour of IMC. The conditions seemed like I would be cutting it too close to flying into hazardous weather, so I re-scheduled. What are your personal minimums for flying close to the freezing level in IMC? If the freezing level is forecast to be only 1000' above the MEA, is that cutting it too close?

Latest posts

Back