• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

I still like paper maps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2105T

DHolt
Reaction score
Call them maps, charts, sectionals, whatever. Sure, I fly with an iPad and a GTN and my folded sectionals and NACO plates are stuffed behind my seat for backup only. I never touch them and I can't imagine flying cross country without my magenta lines and geo-referenced ForeFlight ever again.

Still, I grew up with paper maps and a plotter on my lap and quaint FBOs where the most prominent wall was covered floor to ceiling with a full U.S. aeronautical chart. I do nostalgically miss them.

So recently I ran across a wall map maker that's not so easy to find -- I think he under advertises -- and I'm compelled to give him a shout out. Trent at Higher Plane, Inc (aviationwallmaps.com). From his site you can order laminated 'flattened' sectionals, TACs, or US planning maps in sizes as large as 12 feet by 7 feet, customized to be centered on any part of the country you like! Trent was absolutely great to work with -- I told him what I desired and he accommodated my request. I wanted most of the northeast and central Atlantic extending as far west as Chicago, but I didn't have the wall space for Sectional 1:500,000 scale. So we agreed to use the last published WACs (4-5 years old I think) -- for a decorative wall map, even dated WACs are perfect -- not too big and more detail than the planning charts you can buy (and which don't show airports with runways shorter than 4000'). The map Trent created for me was brilliant. Extremely crisp resolution and professionally done. I suspect Trent is a cartographer by trade. Pictures don't really do it justice.

upload_2018-8-21_18-50-28.png
upload_2018-8-21_18-50-40.png

Latest posts

Back