• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

HYC5005 leaking, looking for replacement options.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after some testing today, we confirmed the hydraulic power pack is leaking. Seems that this is the time of year for all power packs to fail, as it seems no one has one. So looking for some options.

- Rebuild - folks over at Aerospace Turbine Rotables are able to rebuild, but they have a 30 day lead time.

- Replace with Oildyne - Not sure how feasible an option this is, but according to the service manual states both are approved and interchangeable. Based on the parts catalogue, the Piper part number is 481 879 (Oildyne 635 646). Has anyone done this? I've read some of the forums on this, but not sure if this applies to my specific aircraft. It is a 78' PA-28R-201T. To me it makes sense to convert to the Oildyne seeing they are still in business...keeping the Prestolite running sound more like kicking this can down the road a bit, until the next issue.

Any other good options you folks might have?

Latest posts

Back