• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

How much was your flight training?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just come across the advertisement that started my aviation career 43 years ago. See below. A Piper Tomahawk and a Cessna 150 were both $26 an hour solo then. A Piper Warrior was $33 an hour and a Piper Arrow was $43. Funnily enough I did not use that school at Meacham because what put me off was the statement that school graduation was guaranteed so I used another school there.

B1490456-E383-4D52-9A82-51A25423BEBB.jpeg

When I started instructing in 1981 the flight school I worked for charged $12 an hour for my services of which I was paid $5.50 an hour which after a year went up to $8 an hour for commercial and instrument students. I wonder how rates today and salaries compare. I am guessing a Private certificate will cost about $10,000 now?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back