• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

How different cultures talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
I love watching Canadians argue... I mentally insert an "I'm Sorry" for you guys each time your opinion differs, because, dang it if you Maple Leafs aren't the friendliest, most polite folks I have ever run across... :)

Canada's in an interesting position, because we understand both American and European. A lot of my job involves translating among cultures.

(To a European) "No, she does respect your work, and she isn't about to fire you. Americans just think that if they talk aggressively like that, it will push you to take more risks and produce more. She expects you to push back just as hard, and won't take that as disrespect."

(To an American) "Actually, he did speak up. He stated his concerns once, politely, then left it to you, as boss, to decide whether to act on them. Continental Europeans generally don't repeat themselves or talk loudly to indicate that something's important to them. They make a careful argument, once, and expect you to listen and then exercise your authority as you see fit."

(To an African) "No, the fact that they didn't ask about your family and offer you refreshment at the start of the meeting isn't meant to show disrespect. Europeans and North Americans like to jump straight into business, and don't realise that they're being impolite."

(To an Australian) "It will all look better after another beer."

D

Latest posts

Back