• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hartzell Oil Filter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourdough44

Reaction score
I went to Wag-Aero yesterday on my way to the airport & picked up a few things. I usually get a Tempest oil filter but it was not available. The choices were Champion or Hartzell(formerly Kelly I believe). I went with the red one for just over $5 less. Any bad reports with the new Hartzell or Kelly? Since we change the oil fairly often & many engines previously just had a screen I wouldn't think minor differences in filters is that big of a deal.

I also got a 'compass card' & holder for my plane. My plan was to fill it out in a reasonable fashion & mount it in the plane. I'll do a DIY 'swing'. The way I see the regs it's mostly required equipment? Is that true for even VFR flight? Night? I had read it was required with certain types of compasses. Then the regs were vague on whether you had to even have it filled out or mounted, just in the plane was all. I told the Wag person it was nice having them nearby as a parts source.

Latest posts

Back