• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hard start when cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobg

Reaction score
I bought my 1969 140 in May of 2012. As the ambient temps dropped in the fall , and now winter , starting became more difficult. Even after one night of -11c temps the usual 6 pumps of primer won't even fire the engine. 3 more primes and engine will fire but not start. 3 more pumps will get engine running but shakes and shudders , flooded , until all that excess fuel is burned off. Once engine warms up a little it starts right up. Aircraft stays on the ramp so no electric is available for a heater. After a week of daytime highs of -2c , starting can be a real challenge.
Has anybody run across this scenario ? I'm open to suggestions.

Latest posts

Back