• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GTN650xi and STec 20 autopilot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now that my Warrior has its O360A4M I am focused on a new navigator to replace the GNC300XL. Looks like this will be the GTN650xi. As I plan the install however, I am a bit confused about how the GTN650xi interfaces with my STec20. The STec20 is listed as a compatible autopilot. But what does that mean? Is there an adapter necessary eg GAD29B, or does the GTN650xi drive the autopilot directly?

Of course I want roll steering. I am not inclined to go with the G5 as it means the new Garmin GI 106B I already bought is off limits per the STC and I like the big needles on the CDI anyway. Not sure whether the same is true of the GI 275 as the Garmin website says:

"With an optionally available built-in autopilot interface that can replicate existing indicator outputs like the KI-256, GI 275 can provide precise attitude information to drive select autopilots and display flight director command bar cues."

My installer has only done two GI275s and will need to research my question. Has anyone been down this road and can explain?

Latest posts

Back