• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GPSS Gain for STec 20 with GTN 650xi and GI 275AP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In GPSS mode my STec 20 is a bit sluggish, not turning the 90 turns in the "T" approaches crisply but rather with a loop. On a procedure turn or course reversal it also takes up more sky than seems necessary. The bank is not more than one-half standard rate. It also overshoots intercepts with a large angle but does fine on moderate turns, like on a victor airway.

I have a GTN 650xi and GI 275 ADAHRS AP version. Initially, I didn't know what to compare performance to but after a couple of months of use I suspect that maybe things could be better.

Studying the other forums online, it sounds like the GPSS gain needs to be increased. However, I am in the dark on this point. Is the GPSS gain adjusted in the STec 20, the GI 275 or the GTN 650xi? I found some references in the install and maintenance materials but nothing definitive. The other manufacturers (eg Aspen) appear to be more open in their materials.

Latest posts

Back