• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GDL88 Traffic Alert Work!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netsurfr

Reaction score
About a week after getting a GDL88 & FS210 installed I got to see the real benefit of the audio traffic alert callouts. One thing that was important to me in finding a traffic solution was having audio alerts when traffic was close specifying where exactly to look for the traffic instead of having to look at the traffic screen in the plane to first figure out what's going on and then look outside. So far I've had 2 times when the GDL88 reported a traffic alert (close proximity). First time was traffic coming at flying about 500' below but yesterday it was even more relevant.

So my CFII and I had just departed and made our turn away from the airport at 500' AGL when tower alerts incoming aircraft and us a traffic report when we were about 2 miles away from each other with about 500' separation and closing. He was inbound to land. My CFII and I both start scanning for the traffic but initially we actually are looking for the traffic in the wrong direction so no contact. Then the GDL88 calls out the traffic straight ahead, high, less than 1 mile and we quickly adjust our scan and find the traffic at the same time they see us. We both veer right a bit and all is fine. Although it's not perfect or 100% having this type of technology in the cockpit is great and very happy I went with a solution with those aural alerts as that's critical in my opinion. Here's a short clip. Watch in HD quality so you can better see the other traffic.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x36uXmYd6I&feature=em-upload_owner[/ame]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back