• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

FreeFlight RANGR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the FreeFlight RANGR ADS-B system installed in my -161 since last January and have had a weird noise/interference problem ever since. It presents itself as static, like that of a 45 or 33 RPM record when the needle first hits the groove. I have been troubleshooting this problem for a year now, with the help of FreeFlight, two avionics shops and countless hours of my own troubleshooting.

I'm not looking for suggestions or advice with this post, but am curious if anyone else with RANGR installed has noticed noise generated by the system. I can hear it only at select frequencies, at 525 KHz intervals, that shift with temperature. I can always hear it on those affected frequencies with the squelch disabled, and occasionally it will override the squelch.

Following is a list of troubleshooting items that have been done. This is not an exhaustive list, but represents the depth of steps I have gone through with assistance from FreeFlight and my avionics installer.
1. Verified both antenna's ground plane, ground connection, coax integrity, routing, and placement.
2. Verified ADS-B "Out" integrity and accuracy with the FAA.
3. Swapped RANGR blue boxes, with a second box provided by FreeFlight.
4. Verified installation accuracy at a second avionics shop that has installed several RANGR systems.
5. I totally isolated the COM (KX-170B) radio from the RANGR system, and the airframe by remotely powering both systems from separate motorcycle batteries.
6. Verified the presence of the noise on an ICOM A-14 handheld transceiver, confirming the exact same noise on the exact same frequencies.
7. The noise presents immediately when RANGR is ON. It stops immediately when RANGR is OFF, regardless of the position of the function selection on the Control Head.
8. The noise is limited to very short range from the RANGR box and its wiring. That is, it does not radiate beyond the cabin of the aircraft.
9. The noise is present with or without the GPS antenna connected, and with or without the WiFi module connected.
10. I have recorded videos of the anomaly and uploaded them to YOUTUBE, if anyone wants to view them.
11. RANGR is functioning perfectly in all respects as an ADS-B in/out solution, with the exception of the added interference.

FreeFlight has been very helpful in attempting to resolve the problem in shipping me a replacement box, paying for two avionics shops to review the problem, and immediately responding to every phone call or email that I send. We are looking for other similar experiences in the field, as mine has been the only one reported, thus far. So, FreeFlight, my avionics installer, and I are asking if anyone else has experienced an odd noise, conincident with their RANGR system installation, that they have decided to "live with" or could not isolate. We all want to know if there is a problem with RANGR or if my plane is just haunted.

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Latest posts

Back