• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Forecast Turbulance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
View attachment IMG_0031.jpg

Just wondering how some of you who fly regularly view forecast for turbulence and if they impact your go no go decision. Had a flight this morning from Columbia SC to Huntsville Al and sky was clear 10 plus visibility with 10 to 15 surface winds throughout route. A perfect day to fly, one would think. There was turbulence forecast for before and during my flight from surface to 8000 feet, see picture. It called for moderate turbulence and possible low level wind shear. I got up early in case I would have to make the 7 plus hour drive to the meeting that started at 1pm as opposed to the 2 hour 45 min flight. I decided to fly and I did encounter some mild to moderate turbulence just prior to entering and just after entering the east end of the forecast at 6000 feet. So at cruise mild chop for about 15 to 20 mins and the rest of the flight was smooth. I did pick up some wind shifts on final approach to Huntsville but nothing extreme.

I am happy I made the flight but am just wondering how some of the others here view these turbulence forecast and how much weight you give them in the decision to make the flight.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back