• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

FAA Medical following a stroke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velovp

Lifetime Supporting
Reaction score
Several months ago experienced what doctors say is a mild stroke.
Thankfully, I underwent a fast recovery and am as near to normal as I think I should be, given my age, lack of social skills, and a 3rd grade education.

I've been flying with friends acting as a qualified safety pilot and I know that my flying skills are near 100% of those required for my rating (Commercial, CFI-I).

Spoke to AOPA and asked about my medical "status". AOPA replied, "you have no status. The FAA considers a stroke as a 'no-fooling' you are grounded' medical case - and was advised that the FAA types would not consider a medical review until 2-years have passed. Even then, a review would require medical tests, reports, and letters (read lots of hoops to jump through).

I've resigned myself to NOT submit to a FAA medical when it is due later this year. Looks like Light Sport is an immediate answer. However I am hoping and calling upon Piper Forum members to support the current legislation under consideration in Congress to essentially eliminate the 3rd Class Medical http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...rm-legislation-introduced-in-House-and-Senate

In the meanwhile the Arrow II is heading to Mojave, CA where my son will enjoy the aircraft while I wait for Congress to do its thing.

Scott B.
Sebastian, FL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back