• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine overhaul shop feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdfrey1

Reaction score
I've started to see some fine ferrous metal in my filter the last few oil changes and I'm very close to TBO on my O360-A4M engine in my Archer so I'm starting to plan for an overhaul. After research, forum feedback and discussions with my mechanic it sounds like this is most likely cam and/or lifter spalling. My cylinders are only 600 hours old and all have great compressions but they are ECi that I will replace with new Lycoming cylinders. My plan is to bite the bullet and get this done at annual which isn't until October.

I'm looking at a few shops and have called around a bit and I've laid out some of the options below. I've heard that a good local shop is the best but was wondering if there is any specific feedback on any of these options.

G&N Aircraft: These guys would be considered local to me as I'm in Illinois and they are just over the state line in Indiana. I was quoted $19495 which includes new Lycoming cylinders, cam & lifters, mags, ignition harness, plugs and a Lamar starter. They offer free pickup & delivery and will do either an exchange or overhaul my engine for the same price. Warantee is 1 year 100% parts & labor then prorated 40 hours/mo to TBO.

Penn Yan: Quoted price was $19593 and includes all shipping costs. Includes new Lycoming cylinders, cam & lifters, Slick Mags, ignition harness, plugs and SkyTec lightweight starter. Overhaul and exchange are the same price. Warantee is 2 years or 500 hours parts & labor then prorated 40 hours/mo to TBO.

Mattituck: Quoted price was $18654 and shipping would be around $600 for the round trip. Includes new Lycoming cylinders, cam & lifters, mags, ignition harness, plugs and SkyTec lightweight starter. Overhaul and exchange are the same price. Warantee is 3 years or 300 hours. (Total - $19254)

Zephyr: This shop was highly recommended all over the forums so I thought I'd check them out. They quoted $17900 for the base rebuild and $1600 for new Lycoming cylinders and $700 for a new cam. They pay frieght one way and estimated it around $250. Warantee is 2 years or 500 hours. One negative is that they don't do an exchange so this would take the plane down for a longer amount of time. (Total - $20450)

So all the prices are in the same ballpark, there are varying warantees and included parts. What other questions should I be asking? Does anyone have any feedback on these shops or any other shops I should be considering.

Latest posts

Back