• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine Dryer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been running the retail "aquarium pump" type engine dryer (Engine Saver) for many years, and quite pleased with it. The silica is doped with cobalt chloride and turns blue -> pink as it absorbs water, giving you a heads-up as to when to rebake them.

I put in a $10 temp/humidity meter inside the bottle, cutting an opening in the bottle and epoxying in a bit of clear plastic, not a perfect window but good enough. Now it is very easy to read it from the outside, and gives me a more objective measure as to when to bake the beads.

The amount of (relative) humidity in the air this time of year, when it is just above FZ, is always surprising, but there it is.

Inside the engine dryer bottle, and by extension, trending towards in the interior of the engine, +2.6C and 11% humidty ...

1640033995211.png

Inside the hangar, +2.4C and 62% RH.

1640033958279.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back