• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ditching, Rescue B-17, Col. Bill Hicks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skywag

BE300 CE500 DA-50 LR-JET
Reaction score
Out of respect for Colonel Bill Hicks I have started this new thread. I had the honor of reporting to him when he ran and I flew for the Bon Marche, a NW regional Dept store chain of 41 stores that later sold out to Macy's.

Charley inquired about the "rescue B-17" in the ditching thread. In WWll Col. Hicks flew a rescue B-17. He was based somewhere near the Mediterranean in Italy. The bomber was outfitted with life rafts that would be dropped upwind of a ditched allied aircraft. On either side of the life raft were ropes attached to rockets that fired the ropes some distance off to either side. The raft would drift back to the downed crew, they would grab the ropes as they floated by.

In the 1970's Bill Hicks had a reunion with his WWll crew. I was somehow invited and took my video camera. I have a couple of hours of video of their recollections. They had not seen one another since the war ended.

Col. Hicks went on to fly Skyraiders in Korea and AC-47D gunships "Puff TMD" in Vietnam.

http://youtu.be/uKOrpyO0z48

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back