• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Dakota upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodtherancher

Reaction score
I bought my 1982 Dakota back in February and took delivery on the 14th of March. Now, after flying it ~70 hours since then, I've noticed some things that are crying out to be upgraded or replaced: the ADF is inop (whichI I knew from the beginning); I fly cross country a lot, and would like a panel-mounted GPS/Nav system; I fly out of a high altitude field (5,350') and leaning for best performance using the EGT gauge is inadequate, if max power is desired along longer spark plug life. I do have a very nice Loran which is totally useless. I have become provoked by the original windscreen glass, which isn't TOO bad, unless flying directly towards the Sun, which reveals a lot of haziness and fine scratches.

So...beginning this Tuesday, Natrona Avionics is beginning the installation of a Garmin GNS 530 W, with couplers to the autopilot, and also a JPI 730 GEM. While it's in the shop with the interior removed, I'm having all the glass replaced with gray-tinted UV and heat absorbing product from Great Lakes.

What I'm really wondering about is the value of an all-new interior? Is that really worth the $7K to $8K if and when I decide to trade up or sell the plane. The glass replacement is "necessary," and the engine instrumentation should save me some fuel and the possibility of a fried engine, and the GPS is almost "de rigeuer" for any airplane as a resale upgrade.:confused:

I've done a Vref from the AOPA website, and all these improvements/upgrades seem to enhance the value nicely.

I'm looking for input on anything else that I may have overlooked, and comments as to how the "desirability" is being enhanced.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back