• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Continental starter adapter problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilepolice

Reaction score
Looking for examples or explanation of failure modes.

Right engine performs fine.

My left engine is getting to where on occasion I will hear the starter whine when engaging the switch and the blades start moving half a second later, OR the blades will move immediately until a compression stroke, pause, then continue on as normal.

I -think- this is early indication of starter adapter failure? But I'm not sure. The service manual doesn't cover troubleshooting steps, etc.

I normally get fantastic turn rates. My starters also look to be some big boy factory units.

Left engine is just under 1000 hours on it now and was factory rebuilt within the last 5-6 years.

Anyone have any examples, or can tell me from experience if I need to shed the adapter and overhaul it now before I get stranded somewhere?

Ideas as cost to overhaul?

Being paranoid?

Latest posts

Back