• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Clearance through Bravo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was on an IFR flight plan today approaching Mansfield OH enroute to Youngstown OH for our first fuel stop. My IFR flight plan took me around to the south of Cleveland Bravo airspace. While talking to the Mansfield approach controller, he give me the instructions "when able, proceed direct Youngstown". This would of course save me some miles and minutes but would take me trough the Cleveland bravo airspace instead of south of it. I activated direct Youngstown into the GPS and then just confirmed with Mansfield that the new course would take me through the Bravo. He stated he had coordinated that with Cleveland to save me some miles and he would be handing me off to Cleveland in a few minutes and I should confirm with them the Bravo clearance but they had cleared it with him.

Once I was handed off to Cleveland, I ask for confirmation I was cleared through Bravo. The controller was very nice but stated when on an IFR flight plan, I do not need to ask if I am cleared through bravo as that is automatic. It is only VFR traffic that needs to be cleared through bravo.

that is new to me. I have transitioned bravo before but it was the bravo controller that authorized it. I always file IFR around any Bravo airspace and often the bravo controller will offer more direct routing. This is the first time it was offered by a controller before being handed off to the Bravo controller.

So what is the experience here, the bravo controller advised if IFR, there is no need to ask for confirmation through the bravo airspace. Just wondering of others experiences. Been IFR rated for only about 4 years and this is the first time I was told no need to confirm bravo transition.

Latest posts

Back