• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Claimed inflight break up Seneca II Angel Flight NY?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From AvWeb May 25, 2013: "Witnesses reported seeing the aircraft, minus a wing, drop into a reservoir next to a campground crowded for the long weekend."
There are a plethora of very similar short articles on this crash. But not alot more evidence reported. Another witness said a body was seen falling to earth. May they rest in peace.
This reminds me of the grisly breakup of the Pilatus in central Florida last year, in fact almost exactly one year and a week ago today. Victims of the TS fury. At least, as far as we know.
I have not performed an exhaustive search of articles on the Garoga, New York Angel Flight situation which have found their way online. However, I question the 'actual weather conditions' at the time, and if thunderstorm activity was in the area. I cannot readily find archives on actual weather conditions for the time of the crash. Turbulence, ceiling, visibility, winds, wind shear, reports to or from ATC, etc. would be very telling. What was the medical condition of the lawyer-pilot? ADM issues?
An alleged breakup of one of our Indians is cause for concern, but I sense Mother Nature in this one. Or maybe I 'want' to sense that. The Seneca is too well constructed in the wing department as some of you have pointed out, stronger than the Baron.
Maybe some of you have more information on the Angel Flight disaster? More actual evidence as opposed to supposition and conjecture?
This prompted me to review the past two months of NTSB's during lunch, and I am never a happy camper after doing that. Two Mooneys went down in Oklahoma, a host of 182s, (it looked one guy tried to clear a mountain close to Vegas - he missed by 200 feet from the ridge). All fatal. Of course there are more.
But I wander off the topic.
My best to all this day after Memorial Day and please exercise good judgment at all times, in all things.
Any notions or thoughts on CAUSATION of the Angel Flight crash based on the witness reports and otherwise to date?

Latest posts

Back