• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 140 with Constant Speed STC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zlin226pilot

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Cherokee 140 that was upgraded to a Hartzell HC82VL-6F Propeller under the Pacific Propeller STC# SA2052WE in 1993. The prop was due for its 5 year inspection this year and I have just found out that Hartzell will no longer allow the HC-82VL-6F props to be inspected and returned to service. It is a real pity because this prop was completely overhauled 5 years ago and had new blade clamps fitted and the blades refinished. It still looks brand new.

Hartzell has an STC approved for upgrading the same engine and prop combination in an Apache to a HC-C2YL-1BF propeller. Back in July 2013 there was a thread on the forum that referred to a Cherokee getting a one-time field approval for this change. I am hoping that someone on the forum can point me to the N number of a Cherokee that this was done to. First prize would be a copy of the 337 form for a Cherokee that was so approved. However, I may be able to get copies from the FAA in OKC if I have the N number. My IA really believes that this would go a long way in helping us secure a one-time 337 approval for my airplane. Now that I have a blue knob on the panel I really don't want to give it up and reverse the whole STC again.

Dave Milner

Latest posts

Back