• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 140 Eating Alternator Controllers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingwrenchbender

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am in the process of troubleshooting an issue that I have had with my 1965 Cherokee 140 for about a year now. I have the standard Crysler Alternator (newly overhauled) and use the Zeftronics R15 VOL model. I am now replacing the third controller this year. (I know that they are warrantied, but not when certain tests are not completed during the installation, which unfortunately I didn't get to do this time around due to a newly overhauled engine installation.) Basically, the alternator shows 13.6 volts and everything works fine on the ground and for most of a flight. The time to failure has varied but seems to coincide with all of my systems (landing lights (3), strobes, beacon, pitot heat, avionics) being powered on; then the 5 amp field circuit breaker trips and cannot be reset. I discovered that this is because the alternator controller is being shorted out when the voltage demand is increased. I have checked for any areas of high resistance on the circuit as depicted in figure 11-16 in the maintenance manual and found nothing outside of normal. I have also checked grounds and switches for higher resistance. All of those checked good as well.

The last Alternator controller lasted for 38 minutes and was replaced recently with the alternator. The only component remaining is the battery, but it usually shows around 12 volts and seems to start the aircraft just fine. I am considering taking it to the shop for testing. I wanted to reach out to the community to see if there may be anything that I am not considering. Thanks for reading and any help you may be able to give.

Chris

Latest posts

Back