• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 140/160 - Worth? Input appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doofoo

Reaction score
New to the board, new to flying in general.

I'm currently looking at a Mid 60's Cherokee 140 STC'd 160, hoping to get some feedback on the price. I've skimmed the board looking at other previous classifieds and the pricing seems to be all over the place so I'm having trouble coming up with a solid number in my head.

A few details on the aircraft:

- TTAF - Roughly 6000hrs
- SMOH - Roughly 1500hrs
- POH - 100hrs
- 0H engine at overhaul in late 90's.
- Same owner for the last 30+ years, always hangared.
- Full paint-job less than 5 years ago.
- Current Annual - Compression in high 70's across the board
- Full logs going back to birth, all AD's
- Interior is probably 6/10
- PPI would be completed prior to purchase.

Avionics:
- Garmin GNS-430W
- Garmin GI-106A Indicator
- Narco ID 825 Indicator
- Narco MK12D NAV/COM
- Narco CP125 Audio Panel
- Narco AT50A Transponder

I'm looking to use this plane to get my PPL and hours. IMO, it needs some upgrades and I'm still unsure on how costly that is going to be for me.

Specifically, I was hoping to upgrade for ADS-B compliance w/ a Garmin GTX-345 along with a Audio Panel upgrade to a Garmin GMA-350 at a minimum.

Additionally, items such as EI's CGR-30P/C and Garmin G5's would be nice but $$$...

So - from the folks here that have much more experience.

What's a pair price as described above? Assuming there are no airworthiness or other large ticket issues.

I know I'm looking at a OH in the next 500 hours or less if I want to stick to the recommendations, plus at a minimum the ADS-B compliance in the upcoming years.

Latest posts

Back