• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Calling all Patriotic Pilots!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allan

Longtime Piper owner
Reaction score
I'm cross posting a request to fly 2 Iraqi war veterans from CA to PA.

Last month I was contacted by a retired Air Force dog handler that worked with my Dad in Libya during the mid 1960's. He knows a Marine that is being deployed oversees again and needs to get his ex-marine dog, Solo to his folks place in PA from CA.

I'm finding the internet makes this a very small world and when contacted by this veteran, I wanted to help however possible. I contacted one of the best PnP (PilotsnPaws.org) transport coordinators I know (Liz Bondarek) for help.

Liz just posted a transport request on PnP to get Solo and Greg from CA to PA.

The link is: http://pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21814

The message content is:

As I do not always receive notifications of postings here.. **Please email me at [email protected] and refer to SOLO TRANSPORT in the subject line AS WELL AS THE LEG YOU CAN FLY. **VERY helpful for my old gray matter!!

Pilots that are responding here, please also email me at the above address, this is going to be crucial in order for me to keep things organized.. I will do my best to periodically update this thread as we go... OK here goes it:

Solo is a 12 year old Belgian Malinois and distinguished veteran from active duty in Iraq. He and his handler Greg, have served many years together and it's time that Solo goes home to retire. Greg is soon to be stationed overseas again, and Solo needs to be at his family's home to live a quiet life of leisure. Unfortunately, due to his age, it is not recommended that Solo fly commercial as cargo.

THIS TRANSPORT IS FOR BOTH SOLO AND GREG
(Solo is a military working dog and doesn't realize he's retired not to mention that given his age and his special attachment to Greg, Greg doesn't want him to go alone. Both are housebroken)

THIS IS A TWO DAY TRANSPORT..
POTENTIAL ROUTE (somewhat flexible of course)

LEG 1: SEE~DVT (Gillespie Field, San Deigo~Phoenix, Deer Valley) <251NM>
LEG 2: DVT~AEG (Phoenix, Deer Valley~Double Eagle. Albuquerque) <275NM>
LEG 3: AEG~AMA (Double Eagle, Albuquerque~Rick Husband, Amarillo) <251NM>
LEG 4: AMA~OWP (Rick Husband, Amarillo~William Pogue, Sand Springs) <277NM>
LEG 5: OWP~MKC (William Pogue, Sand Springs~Charles Wheeler, Kansas City) <192NM>
OVERNIGHT
LEG 6: MKC~SET (Charles Wheeler, Kansas City~ St. Charles, Smartt) <195NM>
LEG 7: SET~TYQ (St. Charles, MO~Indianapolis, IN) <205NM>
LEG 8: TYQ~TSO (Indianapolis, IN~Carroll County/Tolson) <240NM>
LEG 9: TSO~PTW (Carroll County/Tolson~Heritage Field, Pottstown) <254NM>
As this is a collective effort of multiple pilots, even if a leg has been 'spoken' for I would still need to connect the dots as such;
If you can assist, can you please reply with:
The days you are available to fly
Your home airfield identifier
The leg you can help with or the alternative route that you can assist with?
And given the weather of late: WHAT YOUR REQUIRED MINIMUM IS

Passenger Information:
Solo
Belgian Malinois
90#
12 years old
Traveling with: Health Certificate and vet records, rabies tag, certificate, collar, food for contingency HARNESS AND LEASH

Handler:
Greg
traveling with: Backpack and gear

Thank you all so very much for your consideration and thank you all for helping our service men and women and their K9 companions.
Liz Bondarek
transport coordinator

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back