• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Broken Rod End Bearing on PA32R-301

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashf16

Reaction score
Leveled off at 7000' this morning and as I was accelerating, the nose gear popped out (with the associated noise from ~140 kt extension) along with the red UNSAFE light and a subsequent green nose gear light.

I put the other wheels down (three green, no red) and returned to the airport. What we found was surprising (to me). The rod end bearing for the actuator had broken almost exactly in half, so it was a half moon shape. The system worked exactly like it was supposed to once there was nothing holding the gear up, but I don't have a clue why it broke either the way it did, or when it did.

The actuator arm isn't twisted, there's no obstructions, and it didn't occur until ~10 minutes after the gear was retracted. Other than a bad part (it was almost brand new) anybody seen this before or have any ideas? My A&P/IA has 30+ years of experience and is scratching his head on this one. He has a replacement rod end so he'll be threading that on and doing some gear swings this afternoon (he fortunately works Saturdays).

Last bit of info, it's a LoPresti cowl. Don't know if that would play into this particular failure at all, but just in case someone has seen this before...

Thanks,

Ryan

Latest posts

Back