• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Bonanza in-flght breakup fatal accident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoDelta

Reaction score
A V35B Bonanza on an IFR flight plan, and apparently in IMC, suffered an in-flight breakup and fatal crash yesterday (May 2) over Long Island NY. The flight originated at Myrtle Beach SC (KCRE) and was at 7000 ft. in cruise enroute to Plainville CT (4B8) when the pilot radioed a mayday. Parts of the plane subsequently were observed by witnesses falling into a residential area.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N440H/history/20160503/1600Z/KCRE/4B8
http://abc7ny.com/news/cause-of-plane-crash-on-long-island-a-mystery/1322641/

I saw later news reports stating that the mayday call indicated that the plane's vacuum system had failed. Three dead. Sounds like a classic loss of control after vacuum failure tragedy. Makes me glad that I have a backup electric AI and AHRS-derived synthetic vision through my GDL 39 and iPad/Pilot App combo. On the other hand, I sure wouldn't mind having a BRS chute as a fallback in case my piloting skill wasn't up to the challenge.

Latest posts

Back