• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec Alternator paralleling issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ojito

Reaction score
My mechanic replaced my left alternator because of a cracked fan with a Hartzell overhauled unit. The alternator(s) were working fine. Upon replacement the engine was run up and the unit seemed fine. On runup I noticed a slightly higher (bus) voltage than before, and on power up for takeoff the alternator breaker tripped. The mechanic decreased the alternator output with the engine running by turning the paralleling screw on the left regulator and I could see voltage decreased by monitoring the bus voltage meter. On full power the alternator still trips. My mechanic is out if town until next week and wanted to get any feedback from anyone that may prevent this into becoming a change of regulators, alternators, etc. the Aztec is an E model with Lamar paralleling system.
The 8130 form for the alternator lists part number ALX 8521. Both alternator lights go out with both engines running, only on acceleration to full or close to full power does the left alternator kick out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back