• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

ATP and Type Rating with Limitations???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone please help me understand this:

An Airline Transport Pilot...

with limitations on the ATP certificate

and limitations on the type rating.

Please reference the specific certificate information in the photo, below.

Note: I eradicated the certificate date of issue to help protect the identity of the pilot.

Long day, my brain is tired...what can a holder of this certificate actually do?

Is this the "ATP-r" (restricted), that I only now just ever heard of for the first time from Wiki? (I know, lash me with a wet noodle for not reaching for the FARs, it seemed easier to just Google it.)

"An Airline Transport Pilot - restricted (ATP-r) is also available for pilots that do not meet the more rigorous requirements of an ATP. The only hour requirement for the ATP-r is 1,500 total and 200 cross country. The "total time" requirement is reduced to 750 hours for former military pilots, 1,000 hours for graduates of university bachelors degree programs, or 1,250 for graduates of university associates degree programs. The holder of an ATP-r is limited to only serving as the First Officer in a two pilot operation. Upon obtaining the requisite age and aeronautical experience, the pilot is issued an unrestricted ATP without further examination. see 14CFR61.160 (requirements) and 14CFR61.167(privileges and limitations)"

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_certification_in_the_United_States

ATP?.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back