• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Anyone flying on a SODA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
No, not the one you drink. Statement of Demonstrated Ability through the FAA.

I was born with amblyopia, so my brain doesn't really look out of my right eye. I believe I have 20/200 right and 20/15 left. I can shoot a bird off a fence at 100 yards but it doesn't help that I'll have an issue chasing my medical. I have spoken to Dr. Bruce Chein who said this:

"Alex, you need to go to an AME who has some "horsepower". What we do is certify you "valid for student purposes only" and you begin flight training. After you have done your long cross country, the CFI endorses you to fly solo to the FSDO for a "defetive vision operational checkride". The referral takes about six weeks from the time of your medical, and you can tell the AME at that time (usually best if you write a letter and send direct to Ok City) at which FSDO you wish to take the operational check. The ride is about 20 minutes, Take off, landing, spotting traffic, picking an emergency field of landing etc.
There are over 1,000 ATPs who have monovision, on part 121 Fight Decks.

Then you train normally. After you are capable of being a reliable XC PIC, you get the appointment at the FSDO (They already possess a waiver certificate and an unrestricted medical, same class as you were issued) and if you pass the 20 minute ride, they hand you the wavier and the replacement medical certificate that has no "valid for student purposes only" restriction on it.

If you cannot see 20/200 at 20 feet (the "E"), you need to take this approach. They pretty much do this over 20/60 in the weak eye.

An AME who is unaware of this process will simply defer you. Then you wait 105 days for instruction. Not a good deal.

-Bruce"

I called my local AME and he said he can't do anything because the student pilot certificate and 3rd class are one in the same. He referred me to contact the Orlando FSDO and see what I have to do to accomplish a SODA.

My 2 concerns are:

What kind of limits will I have on my medical? I hope I'll be able to do some night flying.

How am I supposed to demonstrate ability to fly if I cannot log solo hours due to not having a medical? Seems like a Catch-22.

-Alex

Latest posts

Back