• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Annual and sb's 1006 and 1244a complied with

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well just as it says, we just finished the first annual since I've had the plane (Cherokee 180). Only a few small squawks needed to be fixed. Brakes on left main replaced, small fuel leak under the hood at the gascolator, and a crack in the tube that holds the left main wheel pant on. Tube was welded and is now good as new. Compressions were 77 76 77 and 77 over 80. While in annual, I decided at have both SB 1006 and 1244a (inspection of rear spar attach). I did this because, according to the logs, they had not been done in 15 years. It was a big concern of mine due to the fact that she spent the last 33 years of her life south of Houston. I purchased the airward SB 1006 kit, which seriously did come with everything needed for both bulletins. Upon removal of the left tank, it was found that that the fuel sender gasket was leaking. No problemo, the kit came with new ones. Low and behold, the fuel sender gasket on the right wing was also leaking. The vent hoses were hard as rocks. All hoses and gaskets replaced, wingspars looked brand new and were treated with dinotrol. Tanks replaced and re attached with brand new stainless screws (also in the airward kit). The rear spar attach inspection also looked great. It was also treated with dinotrol.
I felt a huge sense of relief when I found out that all was good. DEF worth paying the extra money to have those inspections done for another 7 years. My a/p charged 12.5 hours of labor, which I felt was reasonable after reading other threads on here. Just thought others may want to know that, there are many horror stories of this inspection, but they aren't all that way. We had no problems with any of the screws coming out when removing the tanks. Im sure they were treated before being put in way back when. We again treated the new screws before re attaching the tanks.

HEY SB 1006, see ya in 2021.

Latest posts

Back