• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Air Cleaner and Carb Heat Sealing Recommendations for Warrior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting silicone readings in my Blackstone oil analysis so looking at the induction system to figure out why. Things look sort of ugly on the air intake side and I would like to get a better air filter than OEM. Looking at the options, it appears that only Challenger Aviation (K&N) is an option. Pretty pricy at around $214 plus some attachment hardware. Does anyone with a Warrior have any other options to suggest? If anyone has the Challenger filter system what do you think of it? Regardless, I ordered a new gasket as the one there is half missing, hopefully that is an easy win to replace.

Looking at the carb heat side of things, it looks like the felt on the valve plate is totally worn off or otherwise absent. I ordered new sealing felt from AirPartsWest ($22) but not sure how hard it will be to replace, the carb heat valve, which is two plates with the felt in between, has to be taken apart and re-riveted. Has anyone done this? My carb heat box looks like the bearing surfaces have been rebuilt with riveted fabricated insets--not sure how good the alignment is for the valve shaft. This is apparently a common failure point. Mike Busch says carb heat valves that do not seal tightly can let a lot of silicone (dirt) in with a resulting impact on engine wear. The integrity of the carb heat system is something I never thought a lot about but with a new engine I am paying attention to details that flew under the radar before.

Latest posts

Back